Media advisory, Tuesday, March 1, 2016, 11 a.m., Yorkdale Shopping Centre, 3401 Dufferin Street, West court (former Sears Court) Launch of the 2016 Cops for Cancer at Yorkdale Shopping Centre, in support of the Canadian Cancer Society
Tuesday, March 1, 2016 - 8:53 AM
Corporate Communications: 416-808-7100
One of Toronto’s finest is preparing to chop his locks at the launch event for the 20th annual Cops for Cancer at Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Torontonians are encouraged to sponsor participants who are signing up for the official head-shave fundraiser, which will take place on Saturday, April 16, 2016. Participating members of the Toronto Police Service, Canadian Cancer Society representatives and cancer survivors will be on hand to answer questions from media and the public and encourage participants to sign up for the cause.
Constable Radoslaw Figlarz from 32 Division will kick-start the fundraising with the first head-shave completed by Toronto city councillor Norm Kelly. Cancer survivor Jordan Walker, security officer at Yorkdale, will share her story on her battle and triumph over osteosarcoma after being diagnosed at 15 years old. The Canadian Cancer Society will also be inviting the top 10 fundraisers from 2015 to recognize their achievement and invite them to participate in this year’s event.
“We are so appreciative of the dedicated volunteers and fundraisers, including Yorkdale Shopping Centre and the Toronto Police Service, who help make Cops for Cancer a success every year,” said Susan Drodge, director of corporate and community partnerships at the Canadian Cancer Society.
Then, on Saturday April 16, 2016, the Toronto Police Service and other bold supporters will pick up their clippers to combat cancer at the annual Cops for Cancer event at Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Last year, the event at Yorkdale raised more than $103,000 to reach the $1 million milestone to support cancer research. The 2016 goal is to raise $100,000 to continue the momentum towards the next million.
Torontonians can sign up at the event or at cancer.ca/CopsForCancerToronto .
The following will be in attendance:
- Claire Santamaria, General Manager, Yorkdale Shopping Centre
- Lucia Connor, Marketing Director, Yorkdale Shopping Centre
- Amit Sharma, Assistant Manager, Security Services, Yorkdale Shopping Centre
- Jordan Walker, Cancer Survivor and Security Officer, Yorkdale Shopping Centre
- Dave Walker, Retired Constable, 32 Division, Toronto Police Service
- Sergeant Troy Burgess, Staff Sergeant, 31 Division, Toronto Police Service
- Deputy Chief Michael Federico, Toronto Police Service
- Chris Boddy, Inspector, Toronto Police Service
- Susan Drodge, Director, Corporate and Community Partnerships and Donor Services, Canadian Cancer Society
- Norm Kelly, Toronto Councillor
For more information, to schedule an interview, or for access to the shopping centre for on-site media coverage, please contact:
Please download the Toronto Police Service Mobile App for iOS or Android.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications