Wednesday, July 6, 2016 - 8:54 AM
Financial Crimes: 416-808-7239
The Toronto Police Service would like to update the public on an ongoing Fraud investigation.
It is alleged that;
- a passenger would pay for a taxi fare with a debit card
- the driver would switch the passenger's debit card for one that resembled the passenger's financial institution
- the passenger’s card was then used to withdraw funds and to purchase retail merchandise
Click here for original release.
On Thursday, June 2, 2016, Ahmed Dogar, 25, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1) seven counts of Possess/Use credit card obtained by offence
2) five counts of Fraud not exceeding $5000
3) two counts of Fraud exceeding $5000
Police remind people to be vigilant when using debit cards at point-of-sale machines. Always maintain possession of your card and ensure you request a receipt.
Police are asking for the public's assistance identifying three additional men who are also suspects.
Police are concerned there may be other victims.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7239, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS(8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
Please download the Toronto Police Service Mobile App for iOS or Android.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Craig Brister, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Danny Bell, Financial Crimes