Friday, July 07, 2017

Toronto Police Service collision reporting for all motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians

Toronto Police Service collision reporting for all motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians

Friday, July 7, 2017 - 8:48 AM
Traffic Services:  416-808-1900

The Toronto Police Service would like to remind the public of how, where, and when, a collision must be reported. 

A Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) is a facility which was created to help motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians report motor vehicle collisions in which they have been involved. 

The Ministry of Transportation defines a collision as contact resulting from the motion of a motor vehicle or street car or its load that produces property damage, injury, or death.

Collisions which police will attend

• The collision involves a fatality 
• A personal injury collision where a person is taken to hospital directly from the scene of the collision in an ambulance 
• Any criminal activity involved in a collision (e.g., impaired driving, stolen vehicle, assault) 
• Collisions involving a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver (simply not having an insurance card does not necessarily mean the vehicle is not insured. These collisions can be referred to the CRC) 
• Any collision involving a pedestrian, cyclist or person on a wheeled device which is reported immediately and at the scene of the collision 
• Any collision involving damage to highway or public property 
• Service vehicle involved collisions 
• Collisions that are reported and/or have occurred between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., where any vehicle is not drivable 
• Collisions involving transportation of hazardous goods where the hazardous goods have been compromised

If the collision you are involved in does not meet the above criteria, but does meet the minimum requirements set out by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act to report the collision to police, you must report your collision at a CRC. 

What are Collision Reporting Centres?

A Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) is a facility created to help motorists, cyclists and pedestrians report motor vehicle involved collisions. There are two Collision Reporting Centre locations in Toronto.

Locations of the Collision Reporting Centres

   North Collision Reporting Centre
   113 Toryork Drive, Toronto, ON M9L 1X9.
   Telephone: 416-808-2222 (then press 2 for further information)
   Open seven days a week, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.

   East Collision Reporting Centre
   39 Howden Road, Scarborough, ON M1R 3C7.
   Telephone: 416-808-2222 (then press 2 for further information)
   Open seven days a week, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.

What is the law on reporting a collision under the Highway Traffic Act?

The Highway Traffic Act requires that all collisions where persons suffer any level of injury, or damage valued at more than $2,000 (combined) to vehicles or property, or damage to any highway property be reported to police forthwith.

Can I report a collision without bringing in my vehicle?

A report will not be taken at the CRC if the involved vehicle and driver are not present. Without exception, towed vehicles must go directly to a CRC before repairs are started.

Additionally any person who attends a CRC must ensure that they have the other involved driver(s) information. This is necessary to complete the collision report.

Do I have to exchange information when involved in a collision?

Under the Highway Traffic Act, any person involved in a collision must provide their personal identification (driver's licence), vehicle, and insurance information to the other person(s) involved in the collision.

Do police have to attend the scene of the collision to take the report?

Police will not attend the scene of minor collisions which do not meet the criteria as noted above; involved parties will be directed to attend a CRC where appropriate. The collision report will be taken at the CRC.

For further information on how to report a collision, you may call 416-808-2222, then press 2.

Is a cyclist-involved dooring incident a motor vehicle collision?


What is dooring?

When a parked vehicle’s occupant opens a door into a cyclist's path and the cyclist collides with the open door. This type of incident does not meet the definition of a collision under the Ministry of Transportation guidelines.

A dooring incident, when reported to police, will result in an officer being dispatched, and a dooring incident report being taken. 

The level of injury a person suffers in a dooring incident is not a deciding factor whether or not an officer will take the dooring incident report or attend the scene.

The fine upon conviction for a motor vehicle occupant committing a dooring-related offence is $300 plus a $60 victim fine surcharge and $5 court costs for a total of $365.

The Toronto Police Service would like to remind road-users that poor driving behaviour or traffic-related complaints may be reported to the Toronto Police Service by following the link below:

For more news, visit

Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Constable Clint Stibbe, Traffic Services

No comments:

Post a Comment