Firearm recovered during arrest,
River Street and Dundas Street East area,
Victor Kazibwe, 21
Broadcast time: 13:00
Date: Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Unit: 51 Division
Case #: 2021-374209
Officers from 51 Division made an arrest and recovered a firearm after searching for man who allegedly fled while being investigated.
On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at approximately 12:24 a.m., officers investigated a vehicle and two occupants in the River Street and Dundas Street East area.
It is alleged that:
- during the investigation the driver, a 21 year-old man, had no identification and provided a false name which was determined to be the name of a wanted person
- when officers advised the driver of this, he placed the vehicle in drive and attempted to flee
- a collision occurred and the driver fled on foot into the ravine near the Don River
- the other occupant remained with the vehicle and cooperated with officers
- after a lengthy search, including the use of K9, officers located the driver who appeared to be wet and had possibly entered the river
- he was arrested and taken to the hospital for observation
- during the search a firearm was also recovered
Victor Kazibwe, 21, of Toronto, is facing the following 11 criminal charges:
1. Obstruct/Resist a Public/Peace Officer
2. Fail to Stop For Police/Pursuit
3. Dangerous Operation
4. Carry Concealed Weapon, Etc.
5. two counts of Use/Handle/Store Firearm, Etc. Carelessly
6. two counts of Possess Restricted or Prohibited Firearm Without Holding A
Licence and Registration Certificate
7. Possess Prohibited/Restricted Weapon or Prohibited Device (Magazine) Knowing No Authority
8. Occupy Motor Vehicle With Firearm, Etc.
9. Possess Loaded Regulated Firearm
He attended court on Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10 a.m., Old City Hall, 60 Queen Street West, room 112.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Michelle Flannery, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Daniel Hoffmeyer, 51 Division